He is a singer, a song writer and the star of Egypt’s first reality show “Hiya Wa Huwa” on MBC4. He is Shady Hamza.
In your earlier years, how did you decide that you eventually wanted to become a singer?
- Singing is rarely a decision, it’s something you discover along the way- or at least that’s what happened with me.
What did your friends/family think when they heard your voice?
- Actually my sister was the first person to hear me sing, she was asleep and my voice woke her up. I still remember what she said: ” you’re really good but I got work in the morning…” (Laughs).
What is your first memory of being inspired by music?
- I remember it was the first time I heard Johanne Sebastien Bach Greatest Hits album. I wanted to make people feel the same way I felt about his music…
When did you realize you could actually do this as a career?
- One day I decided to gather some of my friends in the music industry and make a band called Vybe. After the 1st jam, I went and resigned from my Marketing job. I was 23.
What has been the hardest part in getting your music out there?
- The fact that production companies have pressured me into delivering music that doesn’t represent my taste or full potential. My refusal to release an album that caters to a limited audience has definitely slowed down my recording career.
How would you classify—if you can—your music?
- It’s a mix of soul, RNB, Jazz and Funk.
Who is your inspiration?
- I think I made that clear on the show several times (laughs). Michael Jackson, without a doubt. Although, musically there are many more who have had a strong influence as well.
Where do you hope to be by 2013?
- I hope I can find time from recording and filming to actually perform live with my band.
What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever received?
- Stick to what you love.
You and your wife were the main stars of the reality TV show “Hiya Wa Huwa” on MBC 4- what did this show add to your life and to your career?
- I have done so many interviews with journalists who have asked me the same question. Honestly, I’ve run out of stories to say… what I can say is that I’m grateful to MBC Group for the support and faith they’ve had in me and my wife, Nayrouz … We learnt a lot about doing a reality show for an Arab Audience, which has helped us in our upcoming productions.
Can you tell “My name is Asmae” readers about your future projects?
- I am working on an album and a band-reunion project. I am also busy working on 2 new TV productions (both in the near future). Other than that, am constantly working on commercials, jingles and voice overs- some of which you’ve seen or heard on TV/Radio.
How do you describe your wife Nayrouz Abouzid and your baby son Omar?
- As cheesy as sounds, they are the joy of my life.
The Shady Hamza in MBC’s reality TV show is a very stylish singer. Tell us more about your style….
- Luckily I had the help of Art Director and stylist Ihab Al Adly, who made sure I knew exactly what to wear every day. If it were up to me, I’d probably repeat outfits. (laughs)
What’s your favorite brand of shoes & clothes?
- For shoes definitely Nike,Timberland and TOD’s. For clothes, I sometimes take my wife’s advise because apparently- according to her- I’m stuck in the 90’s.
Who are your favorite designers?
- I am a huge La Coste fan.
What is your favorite perfume?
- Brut & Old Spice. (My wife makes fun of me)
Do you like to shop, & In which country you like to shop?
- It depends on what kind of shopping. If I’m in Virgin, or any electronics store I completely lose sense of time. Otherwise, I get bored.
Who helps you choose your clothes?
- I choose what’s comfortable. Period.
Thanks again for doing this interview. In closing, any quote that you could leave us with?
- Music is the food of our soul.
I know darlings that you are amazed by this amazing egyptian star, and as the pop star Nancy Ajram once said : “Badou yenesheher” “He will be famous” and I will add that his music will definitely fly across the globe.
Thank you ~Asmae MAHFOUD ~Xoxo